Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Between Shades of Gray

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme held by Jill at Breaking the Spine to feature upcoming books that we can't wait to get our hands on. 

Title: Between Shades of Gray 
Author: Ruta Sepetys
Publisher: Philomel Books
Date of Release: March 22, 2011

Goodreads Description: Lina is just like any other fifteen-year-old Lithuanian girl in 1941. She paints, she draws, she gets crushes on boys. Until one night when Soviet officers barge into her home, tearing her family from the comfortable life they've known. Separated from her father, forced onto a crowded and dirty train car, Lina, her mother, and her young brother slowly make their way north, crossing the Arctic Circle, to a work camp in the coldest reaches of Siberia. Here they are forced, under Stalin's orders, to dig for beets and fight for their lives under the cruelest of conditions. Lina finds solace in her art, meticulously - and at great risk - documenting events by drawing, hoping these messages will make their way to her father's prison camp to let him know they are still alive. It is a long and harrowing journey, spanning years and covering 6,500 miles, but it is through incredible strength, love, and hope that Lina ultimately survives. Between Shades of Gray is a novel that will steal your breath and capture your heart.

Why am I waiting? History was always one of my favourite subjects growing up. But although I've read quite a few books about the plight of Jews under Nazi Germany, I actually don't know much about what happened to the people whose countries were invaded by the Soviets under Stalin's regime. So, I'm looking forward to becoming more knowledgeable about these victims and reading about their perseverance.

21 comments:

  1. I haven't gotten around reading this but I really really am looking forward to reading this. Sounds like an emotionally charged book. Great WoW pick!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am not a big historical fiction fan but this one sounds interesting. Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really looking forward to reading this one too. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm looking forward to this one as well. The cover is so gorgeous.

    Here's my Waiting on Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really can't wait for this one either !! The cover looks gorgeous and the blurb sounds so great ! I love moving books so it's perfect !! Great pick ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think this one sounds really interesting, but it will most likely be an upsetting read. I've heard great things about it, though!

    Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The Soviet's actions definitely have been overshadowed by the Nazis in books/movies. I've heard some really good things about this book. I hope you enjoy it :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This one does sound amazing, I've been seeing it around a lot lately but haven't paid all that much attention to it. Definitely going on my list now though!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This one does sounds interesting! I really enjoy history and historical fiction too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm really looking forward to this one too, I heard it's really good.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I keep seeing this book pop up on people's WoW. I might just have to add it to my TBR because my interest in it is piquing. I hope I used that word right >.> <.<

    Sandy
    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so looking forward to this book. Everyone who's read it loves it!

    Hope you get a chance to stop by Gone with the Words and check out what I'm Waiting On this Wednesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sounds like and intense and powerful read. Great pick, I can't wait either.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Between Shades of Gray has been on my TBR list for a while. This was an awesome pick this week! I really want to read this one too! : )

    My Waiting on Wednesday is:
    http://faybaysbooks.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just got this in the mail and will be reading it next! Looks so good, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous1:30 pm

    here's mine http://tributebooksmama.blogspot.com/2011/02/waiting-on-wednesday_23.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm not a big fan of historical novels, but this one looks pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This one sounds really intense, and it's great that it covers a period in history that isn't common in YA novels.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow - this one sounds great. I need a historical novel for one of my challenges. I will be adding this to my wish list. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

    I'm a new follower, too.

    Reading Lark's WOW

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh gosh, I've been dying to read this one too, I've heard so many awesome things. Plus we 'brushed over' this in History class, great pick :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will reply back via either email or stopping by your blog. Please note that this is an award-free zone.