Monday, January 18, 2016

Review: Their Fractured Light by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner

From Goodreads: A year ago, Flynn Cormac and Jubilee Chase made the now infamous Avon Broadcast, calling on the galaxy to witness for their planet, and protect them from destruction. Some say Flynn’s a madman, others whisper about conspiracies. Nobody knows the truth. A year before that, Tarver Merendsen and Lilac LaRoux were rescued from a terrible shipwreck - now, they live a public life in front of the cameras, and a secret life away from the world’s gaze. Now, in the center of the universe on the planet of Corinth, all four are about to collide with two new players, who will bring the fight against LaRoux Industries to a head. Gideon Marchant is an eighteen-year-old computer hacker - a whiz kid and an urban warrior. He’ll climb, abseil and worm his way past the best security measures to pull off onsite hacks that others don’t dare touch. Sofia Quinn has a killer smile, and by the time you’re done noticing it, she’s got you offering up your wallet, your car, and anything else she desires. She holds LaRoux Industries responsible for the mysterious death of her father and is out for revenge at any cost. When a LaRoux Industries security breach interrupts Gideon and Sofia’s separate attempts to infiltrate their headquarters, they’re forced to work together to escape. Each of them has their own reason for wanting to take down LaRoux Industries, and neither trusts the other. But working together might be the best chance they have to expose the secrets LRI is so desperate to hide.

My Rating: 4 hearts 

Thoughts on the Novel: While reading This Shattered World by Amie Kaufman and Meagan Spooner, I thought the Knave of Hearts sounded like a pretty interesting character. So, I was thrilled when I found out that he would be one of the main characters in Their Fractured Light. Imagine how surprised I was then to find out how personal his motives really were for wanting to screw Roderick LaRoux!

Although I liked learning more about Gideon and Sofia and seeing them work as tentative allies, Their Fractured Light became way more enjoyable when Lilac, Tarver, Flynn, and Jubilee entered the scene because it greatly increased the tension. What I really loved about Their Fractured Light, however, was how all the little details that I’d forgotten about from the previous books in the series came back to play a part in this book. So, if you haven’t started the Starbound series, it’s good to do so now that all the books are out; and if you have, it might be worthwhile to reread the previous books before reading Their Fractured Light to fully appreciate how much planning Kaufman and Spooner must have done before writing this series.

A splendid conclusion to an amazing series, Their Fractured Light was released by Disney-Hyperion in December 2015. 

Comments About the Cover: This is my favourite cover of the series because it has a lot of purple, my favourite colour.

7 comments:

  1. Ooh, I'm envious that you've had a chance to read all three in this series now! I've only read the first one back when it was released (and enjoyed it immensely). I think I'll have to take your advice and reread the first one before diving into books 2 and 3, one after another.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay! I'm so glad this had a solid ending. I really enjoyed the first book which had a nice balance of romance and sci fi. Book 2 was also good, but a more focus on the sci fi. I'd like to see book 3 come back to the balance of #1. I'm really looking forward to picking this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read this yet although I really want to asap! I loved books 1 and 2, and I'm glad to know you liked the third book. I can't wait to see all the main characters together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. AH! I can't wait to read this Z! I have my copy waiting for me, now I just need a little time to read it:) So glad you thought it was a fantastic conclusion to the series!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I still need to read these!! I really want to though. Glad you enjoyed the final installment. I love the cover as well - purple is my fave too. :)

    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad this was a satisfying conclusion! I still have yet to even read the second book but I really did enjoy the first. Can't wait to get to know these characters more :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. It was so good how this book tied all the little details, events, and characters from the series together! I can't wait to reread this entire series now that I know how it ends to see if I can pick up on all the clues and foreshadowing

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will reply back via either email or stopping by your blog. Please note that this is an award-free zone.