Small Review is hosting an event called Busting the Newbie Blues that is meant to help old and new bloggers interact and share their experiences about what it's like or was like to be a new blogger. It's running from December 3 to December 31, and you can find all the information here.
As a new blogger, the following is my completed questionnaire:
- When did you start your blog? I started my blog in late August of this year.
- Why did you start your blog? While I love reading and talking about books, most of my friends aren’t really avid readers. It just so happened that pretty much after reading The Adoration of Jenna Fox by Mary Pearson and wishing I had somebody to share my thoughts with, I found out that there are people online who love books as much as I do. I realized then that I could have a blog too.
- What has been the biggest challenge you’ve faced so far? The biggest challenge that I’ve faced so far besides finding the time to post would have to be setting up my blog. I’m not super great with technology so it took me a few hours to figure out how to use Blogger. Then, it took me a few days to get a layout that I was finally happy with.
- What do you find most discouraging about being a new blogger? It’s very daunting to be just starting out! Early on, it was very easy to slack off with posting because nobody knew who I was. That however isn’t really a good way to get people to follow you.
- What do you find most encouraging? I love how friendly the blogging community is. I find it super interesting to see that when fellow bloggers post up pictures with somebody, it’s often with someone that they’ve known from a blog but only met for the first time.
- What do you like best about the blogs you read? Have you tried to replicate this in your blog? I love blogs where the blogger’s personality just comes through, especially if they’re funny. Unfortunately, I don’t think I’m particularly funny so it would be pointless to replicate this. I hope however that my blog conveys my voice.
- What do you dislike about blogs you’ve read? Do you try to avoid this? I dislike when a blog looks too messy or has a font in a colour that’s hard on the eyes because it becomes really hard to read, and so I’ve tried to avoid this on my blog. I also dislike when there are a lot of widgets present – one or two is fine – because it takes time for the page to load and sometimes can cause my laptop to freeze, which means I’m not going to be a happy person.
- Any advice for other new bloggers? I would say to join challenges and memes because they’re great for getting people to know about your blog. I’d also suggest that you try to leave comments on the blogs you do follow because a lot of bloggers will either email a reply or stop by to leave a comment.
- Anything else you’d like to share about your experience? It’s been a great process so far and I’m very thankful to the people who liked what they saw enough to follow me. I’ll definitely post more often once exams are done and then start holding giveaways in the new year so I hope you guys stick around!
- Is there anything you’d like to tell us about your blog? I review YA books on my blog and while I tend to read pretty much any genre, I’m a sucker for paranormal or contemporary books.