Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Waiting on Wednesday: Dearly, Departed

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly meme held by Jill at Breaking the Spine to feature upcoming books that we can't wait to get our hands on. 

Title: Dearly, Departed
Author: Lia Habel
Publisher: Del Ray Books
Date of Release: October 18, 2011 

Goodreads Description: The year is 2195. The place is New Victoria - a high-tech nation modeled on the manners, mores, and fashions of an antique era. A teenager in high society, Nora Dearly is far more interested in military history and her country’s political unrest than in tea parties and debutante balls. But after her beloved parents die, Nora is left at the mercy of her domineering aunt, a social-climbing spendthrift who has squandered the family fortune, and now plans to marry her niece off for money. For Nora, no fate could be more horrible - until she’s nearly kidnapped by an army of walking corpses. But fate is just getting started with Nora. Catapulted from her world of drawing-room civility, she’s suddenly gunning down ravenous zombies alongside mysterious black-clad commandos and confronting “The Laz,” a fatal virus that raises the dead - and hell along with them. Hardly ideal circumstances. Then Nora meets Bram Griswold, a young soldier who is brave, handsome, noble ... and dead. But as is the case with the rest of his special undead unit, luck and modern science have enabled Bram to hold on to his mind, his manners, and his body parts. And when his bond of trust with Nora turns to tenderness, there’s no turning back. Eventually, they know, the disease will win, separating the star-crossed lovers forever. But until then, beating or not, their hearts will have what they desire.

Why am I waiting? When I hear about novels involving zombies, my usual reaction is meh. But I've pretty much been waiting a year for Dearly, Departed to come out and the wait is almost over! Dearly, Departed seems like it'll be full of adventure, and it has elements of steampunk - a genre I'm hoping more YA authors will venture into. I'm also curious to see whether Habel can make me forget that Bram is dead and root for the romance between him and Nora.

26 comments:

  1. Dearly, Departed looks and sounds so cool! It should be interesting to see a mix of steampunk and zombies together!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This one is one of my future favourites!!!! =D *of course! it is Victorian stuff!* moahahhaha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmm. Zombies are not usually my thing, but this one looks pretty good! Plus, the cover is gorgeous. Great pick! :)

    Sophia
    My WoW :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. i really want to read this too!! your header is absolutely adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Zombies! I love zombie themed books, and this one just sounds so awesome, can't wait for it to be released. Great pick :)

    Check out my WoW picks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh! This book looks awesome! Have it on my goodreads to read shelf!

    For my wow please go to: http://piscesmuse.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seems like I have been waiting for this one like forever. Glad the wait is almost over. Great pick!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ohh, that sounds very cool. I'm going to have to add that to my wish list. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh this sounds cool! I love zombies! Have you read the Forest of Hands and Teeth trilogy?

    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  10. This looks so good! Victorian era zombies? I'm in!

    http://yalitwit.blogspot.com/2011/09/www-15-and-waiting-on-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. This sounds so awesome!! I'm definitely adding this to my tbr list.

    Here's mine!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks really good :D

    New follower!

    My Wow, http://bookmigik.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm definitely waiting for this one :) It sounds so good! I can't wait to get my hands on it!
    New Follower!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  14. This one is on my wishlist too! The cover is stunning, and the story sounds really interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm usually pretty "meh" with zombies too Zahida, they freak me out most of the time and I have no desire to read about them. However, this book does sound amazing and I will certainly be picking it up in a few weeks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. GAH! Why are zombies taking over and how do I revive my precious vampires?

    Okay, I'll admit I want to read this one, but don't tell the fangers. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. this book sounds really great, I love the cover and the synopsis sounds really intriguing, thanks for sharing !javascript:void(0)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sounds like a great read - and different :)

    I'll have to check that one out.

    Here is my WoW - http://www.stitchreadcook.com/2011/09/waiting-on-wednesday-9.html

    Aislynn

    ReplyDelete
  19. OOOH I am excited for this one. =) Love the cover!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Futuristic steampunk and zombies. Interesting mix. This is definitely something new and original. Zombies aren't usually my thing either, but I just might pick this one up.

    Donna @ The Happy Booker

    ReplyDelete
  21. Futuristic steampunk and zombies. Interesting mix. This is definitely something new and original. Zombies aren't usually my thing either, but I just might pick this one up.

    Donna @ The Happy Booker

    ReplyDelete
  22. Steampunk and zombies? I'm in! Great choice!

    New follower, by the way. :)

    Alyssa
    Reader's Refuge

    ReplyDelete
  23. This book just hit my radar but it's definitely got my attention! Zombies and steampunk are just about my favorite things and they so rarely get teamed up. Want! A most excellent pick!

    ReplyDelete
  24. That cover is what caught my attention first. And then the synopsis - zombies and steampunk?! Yes, please!

    Grea pick :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm not really a fan of zombies but this one does sound pretty interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I just read this and it's cute. I think you'll like it!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will reply back via either email or stopping by your blog. Please note that this is an award-free zone.