Monday, May 15, 2017

Review: Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor

From Goodreads: The dream chooses the dreamer, not the other way around - and Lazlo Strange, war orphan and junior librarian, has always feared that his dream chose poorly. Since he was five years old he’s been obsessed with the mythic lost city of Weep, but it would take someone bolder than he to cross half the world in search of it. Then a stunning opportunity presents itself, in the person of a hero called the Godslayer and a band of legendary warriors, and he has to seize his chance or lose his dream forever. What happened in Weep two hundred years ago to cut it off from the rest of the world? What exactly did the Godslayer slay that went by the name of god? And what is the mysterious problem he now seeks help in solving? The answers await in Weep, but so do more mysteries - including the blue-skinned goddess who appears in Lazlo’s dreams. How did he dream her before he knew she existed? And if all the gods are dead, why does she seem so real?

My Rating: 4.5 hearts 

Thoughts on the Novel: Having read a few books that I rated as 3-stars or lower in a row, I decided to turn to a novel that I knew wouldn’t disappoint, Laini Taylor’s Strange the Dreamer. I was hooked right from the prologue, as a girl falls from the sky in the city of Weep and is impaled by a point on an iron gate. I love spectacularly violent deaths!

We then go back in time to be introduced to Lazlo Strange, a librarian who has dreamed of visiting the mysterious city of Weep his entire life. Penniless and unable to do so because as a foreigner he would be executed on sight, Lazlo continues to work as a librarian … until Weep’s warriors come to Zosma, seeking outsiders that can help them with a mission. There’s a shadow over Weep, and Lazlo will need to uncover the city's secrets if he wants to help its residents.

As always, Taylor’s writing is gorgeous, and the worldbuilding is fantastic. The characters were also fabulously written, with Taylor making me care about her secondary characters as much as I cared about Lazlo. Really, the only flaws of Strange the Dreamer were that the star-crossed romance was insta-love and that Taylor ended the book with such a twist that I can’t believe I’ll have to wait at least a year to read the sequel, The Muse of Nightmares.

Strange the Dreamer was released in March 2017 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers. 

Comments About the Cover: It’s quite plain looking and doesn’t really do the inside of the book justice.

8 comments:

  1. Everyone seems to be loving this book! It's high on top of my reading list for the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aha this was such a great book! I loved the writing and the idea was just so fantastic! So glad to hear you enjoyed this and thanks for the lovely review!

    ReplyDelete
  3. "I love spectacularly violent deaths" <-- lol. Sounds morbid, but I know what you mean >.< Good to hear you loved this one as much as I did! That ending though: I kind of loved it because it was unexpected and kind of hated it because as you say, can't believe we'll have to wait so long after that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so glad you loved this one! I adored it as well and Taylor's writing never fails to stun me. Wonderful review--I can't wait for the sequel now!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. The UK cover of this book is much more gorgeous, though nothing does the world of Weep justice honeslty. It's so gorgeous. Glad to hear it broke your poor reading streak

    ReplyDelete
  6. That death sounds horrible, and I now I am even more eager to read this one, I need this in my life. It just sounds SO amazing! I am glad this one didn't disappoint you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently won a copy of this one and I'm SO excited to hopefully read it soon. I love Laini's books - and I'm glad to hear you really loved this one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been seeing good things about this one, glad it didn't disappoint! I need to finish her Daughter of Smoke & Bone series.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will reply back via either email or stopping by your blog. Please note that this is an award-free zone.