Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Review: My Fair Godmother by Janette Rallison

From Back Cover: After a dramatic breakup with her picture-perfect boyfriend, Savannah needs a true prince - and fast, because the prom is only weeks away. But looking for love can be a Grimm experience! If only Chrissy were more than just "fair" in the wish-granting department. After two botched attempts that land Savannah in the past, first as Cinderella and then as Snow White, Chrissy must send Savannah to save Tristan, a surprisingly cute boy from school whom Chrissy accidentally sent to the Middle Ages. Hopefully the third time's the charm ... as in Prince Charming.

My Rating: 3.5 hearts 

Thoughts on the Novel: Janette Rallison consistently writes creative and funny stories, which is why I figured My Fair Godmother would be a good stress reducer while studying for my midterms.

For some reason though, I didn’t connect with Savannah’s character as much as some of Rallison’s other protagonists possibly because Savannah’s initial cluelessness was pretty amusing but sort of got annoying after awhile. However, Savannah does redeem herself a little by maturing and getting more quick-witted as the novel progresses.  

What I did like about My Fair Godmother was Rallison’s version of the Middle Ages. Not only are Cinderella and Snow White real, but there’s also a Cyclops and a dragon. In addition, real magic also exists because people can be turned into goats and a lying curse can cause you to spit out a frog, a gecko, etc. (gross!). Nevertheless, Rallison’s Middle Ages felt very authentic and you forget that Cyclops and dragons are mythical creatures that have never actually existed! 

Walker Books for Young Readers released My Fair Godmother in January 2009.

Comments About the Cover: It’s cute and I like the moon and stars in the background because it brings up the idea of wishing upon a star. You better hope you don’t get stuck with Chrissy though because as the cover shows, she definitely isn’t your typical fairy godmother!

1 comment:

  1. You find all these books that are totally new to me! This one looks really cute. What a fun premise. It's funny how annoying characters can come to be redeemed by the end of a book, though. Although, I think had it been me, I probably would've just tried to make her less annoying :P But, it's hard to say what goes through an author's mind when they create a character. Still, this looks like one that would be a fun, easy read to relax with.

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will reply back via either email or stopping by your blog. Please note that this is an award-free zone.