Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Introducing My Reading Buddy: Stephanie


Last year, I managed to read slightly over 100 books so one of my reading goals this year is to reach that target again. Well, who better to motivate me than a reading buddy?

Stephanie (aka StephTheBookworm) was recently looking for someone to help motivate her to reach her goal of reading 100 books and so we’ve partnered up to engage in a little friendly competition. Basically, we’ll be sending weekly emails to each other, letting the other person know how many books and how many pages we’ve read during the week and in total. The loser at the end of the year buys the winner a book.

Anyway, I thought it’d be nice to learn a little more about Steph and so we created a questionnaire together. My answers can be found on her blog and you can check out her answers below:
What is your work/school situation?
I graduated with my Bachelor's degree in English Literature in May, and now I'm in graduate school pursuing my Master's degree in Library Science. I currently work at my local library as a library clerk, which I love, but am just waiting to get my degree so I can be an actual librarian!

What do you like to do outside of reading?
Most of my time is spent reading, but there also some TV shows I really love, like Dexter, American Horror Story, Revenge, Glee, Desperate Housewives, Once Upon a Time, New Girl, and others, so I love DVRing those and watching them every week! I also like spending time with my friends and family, my boyfriend, Charles, who I live with, and our adopted dog, Dakota! My friends and I love playing a lot of board and card games and having random dance parties.
How long have you been book blogging?
I started in September 2009.
What's been your most exciting or rewarding blogging moment or experience?
My most exciting experience was going to BEA in May. I finally got to meet some of my blogger friends in real life, and some amazing authors, like Chuck Palahniuk and Beth Hoffman, who I had dinner with! It was so cool to be around so many book lovers, and all in one place! The most rewarding is definitely when an author e-mails me after I review their book and expresses gratitude and excitement. I've loved getting to know so many authors and have learned that they are some of the most compassionate and gracious people around. The same actually goes for book bloggers as well - what a passionate and kind community of people, one that I am so proud to be a part of!

How would your friends describe you? How would you describe yourself?
I just have a really small group of three friends who I spend a lot of time with, and they would describe me as a goof. I'll do anything to make them laugh, and we have tons of fun together. I would describe myself as a complete introvert, though. When I'm not with my friends, I'm extremely quiet and shy, somewhat awkward, but always observing everything around me.

What genre do you normally read?
I read basically everything! I am a very eclectic reader, reading both YA and adult, suspense, chick-lit, contemporary, mysteries ... pretty much everything! This means my TBR list is absolutely insane because I want to read every and any thing!

What one book are you most looking forward to in 2012?
I haven't been able to find any information about this, but I am really hoping my favorite author, Jen Lancaster, comes out with a new book this year!
Who is your favorite author? What is your favorite book?
I have so many favorites. To name a few authors: Jen Lancaster, Chuck Palahniuk, Meg Cabot, Beth Hoffman, Kristina Riggle. To name a few books: The Ramona series by Beverly Cleary, Bitter is the New Black, by Jen Lancaster, Saving CeeCee Honeycutt by Beth Hoffman, the Jessica Darling series by Megan McCafferty... both lists could go on and on!

If you got to pick one guy to be your fictional boyfriend, who would it be?
Marcus Flutie, hands down! (from the Jessica Darling series)

If you got to pick one fictional girl to be your best friend, who would it be?
I think I'd go with Mia from the Princess Diaries, another one of my favorite series of all time! She's so witty and incredibly down to earth, especially considering she's a princess!

8 comments:

  1. Awww, that is such an awesome friendly competition!! It's an awesome motivation idea! :) And that is SO cool that you went to BEA -- I'm glad you had fun! There's nothing like meeting your favourite author and actually talking to them, because it only makes you love them more!

    Awesome interview, Steph! I totally need to check out this Marcus guy -- anyone who you can choose for your book boyfriend that quickly must be AMAZING! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Talk about team work! I wish you gals the best of luck in achieving your goals. It also helps if you read a great string of books back to back.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Who doesn't love a little friendly competition. Great idea, ladies.

    Fun interview. Now that I'm more into reading than I've ever been, I regret not going into library science. That' would have been cool. Congrats Steph! I'm sure you'll love it.

    P.S. I need to meet this Marcus.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aw, such a fun idea! I have a regular readalong partner who keeps me motivated...and in this scenario, there's really no loser at all. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such and awesome idea ladies! What a great way to keep you guys motivated and from going into a slump, nothing like a little friendly competition to keep your blogs going! BEA was one of my favorite blogging experiences as well, it was just so much fun to be around so many books and book lovers. It was absolutely crazy, but I can't wait to go again, hopefully I'll see you there!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hah this could be either fun, or a complete disaster. Eek. But I will be here watching for some entertainment. Bahah


    Giselle
    Xpresso Reads

    ReplyDelete
  7. saw your interview over at Steph's blog. So nice to get to know the person behind the blog! awesome idea :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Heh, what a great way to stay motivated! Good luck!

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will reply back via either email or stopping by your blog. Please note that this is an award-free zone.