Monday, November 16, 2015

Review: Of Dreams and Rust by Sarah Fine

From Goodreads: In the year since the collapse of the slaughterhouse where Wen worked as her father’s medical assistant, she’s held all her secrets close. She works in the clinic at the weapons factory and sneaks away to nurse Bo, once the Ghost, now a boy determined to transform himself into a living machine. Their strange, fragile friendship soothes some of the ache of missing Melik, the strong-willed Noor who walked away from Wen all those months ago - but it can’t quell her fears for him. The Noor are waging a rebellion in the west. When she overhears plans to crush Melik’s people with the powerful war machines created at the factory, Wen makes the painful decision to leave behind all she has known - including Bo - to warn them. But the farther she journeys into the warzone, the more confusing things become. A year of brutality seems to have changed Melik, and Wen has a decision to make about him and his people: How much is she willing to sacrifice to save them from complete annihilation? 

My Rating: 4.5 hearts 

Thoughts on the Novel: The second book in Sarah Fine’s Of Metal and Wishes duology, Of Dreams and Rust was even better than Of Metal and Wishes! In this novel, Wen continues to grow as a character, and truly learns to look beyond race to consider how war affects individuals. Although I liked her in Of Metal and Wishes, she really became a character I admired in this book.

The romance continued to be something I enjoyed as well. Since Of Dreams and Rust is set a year later and Melik has been gone during this time, Wen has developed feelings for Bo. However, it becomes pretty clear early on that Wen’s heart still belongs to Melik and that the love that she has for Bo is very different.

Besides the lack of a love triangle, I also liked that the romance wasn’t without its challenges. The Noor – who we learn more about in this novel – and Itanyai have different beliefs, and it was good to see Melik and Wen acknowledge those differences and try to bridge the gaps.

A book that concluded on a somewhat bittersweet note because some characters that I loved died, Of Dreams and Rust was released by Margaret K. McElderry Books in August 2015. 

Comments About the Cover: I like how the model is wearing brighter colours like the Noor and looking back as if she’s saying goodbye to her familiar life.

3 comments:

  1. I really need to read a book by Sarah Fine. Instead of reading a trilogy by her, I can start this duology. I'm thrilled there is no love triangle and that the story doesn't drag. Looking forward to picking this one up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man, sad endings get me so bad, but I still really want to check this series out! I still have yet to read Of Metal and Wishes but I'm excited to!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YAAAAAAY! I loved this one so much too Z! I was thrilled with the romance and the fact that despite Wen's affection for Bo, it never turned into a true triangle. I need more Sarah Fine in my life:)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will reply back via either email or stopping by your blog. Please note that this is an award-free zone.