Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Five Great Debuts

As part of Persnickety Snark's Five Challenge for 2010, Day 1 is to list five great debuts. Since I didn't participate in DAC 2010, I don't have a huge list of debut novels to select from. However, from the ones I've read, these would be my top five in no particular order:

Paranormalcy by Kiersten White
Goodreads Summary: Evie’s always thought of herself as a normal teenager, even though she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency, her ex-boyfriend is a faerie, she’s falling for a shape-shifter, and she’s the only person who can see through paranormals’ glamours. But Evie’s about to realize that she may very well be at the center of a dark faerie prophecy promising destruction to all paranormal creatures. So much for normal. My Review


I Now Pronounce You Someone Else by Erin McCahan
Goodreads Summary: Eighteen-year-old Bronwen Oliver has a secret: She’s really Phoebe, the lost daughter of the loving Lilywhite family. That’s the only way to explain her image-obsessed mother; a kind but distant stepfather; and a brother who has a small personality complex (he thinks he’s Jesus). Bronwen must have been switched at birth, and she can’t wait to get away from her family for good. Then she meets Jared Sondervan. He’s sweet, funny, everything she wants – and he has the family Bronwen has always wanted too. She falls head over heels in love, and when he proposes marriage, she joyfully accepts. But is Jared truly what she needs? And if he’s not, she has to ask: What would Phoebe Lilywhite do? My Review

Shadow Hills by Anastasia Hopcus
Goodreads Summary: After her sister Athena's tragic death, it's obvious that grief-stricken Persephone "Phe" Archer no longer belongs in Los Angeles. Hoping to make sense of her sister's sudden demise and the cryptic dreams following it, Phe abandons her bubbly LA life to attend an uptight East Coast preparatory school in Shadow Hills, MA — a school which her sister mysteriously mentioned in her last diary entry before she died. Once there, Phe quickly realizes that something is deeply amiss in her new town. Not only does Shadow Hills' history boast an unexplained epidemic that decimated hundreds of its citizens in the 1700s, but its modern townies also seem eerily psychic, with the bizarre ability to bend metal. Even Zach — the gorgeous stranger Phe meets and immediately begins to lust after — seems as if he is hiding something serious. Phe is determined to get to the bottom of it. The longer she stays there, the more she suspects that her sister's untimely death and her own destiny are intricately linked to those who reside in Shadow Hills. My Review

Before I Fall by Lauren Oliver
Goodreads Summary: What if you had only one day to live? What would you do? Who would you kiss? And how far would you go to save your own life? Samantha Kingston has it all—looks, popularity, the perfect boyfriend. Friday, February 12th should be just another day in her charmed life. Instead, it’s her last. The catch: Samantha still wakes up the next morning. In fact, she re-lives the last day of her life seven times, until she realizes that by making even the slightest changes, she may hold more power than she had ever imagined.

Nightshade by Andrea Cremer
Goodreads Summary: Calla Tor has always known her destiny: After graduating from the Mountain School, she'll be the mate of sexy alpha wolf Ren Laroche and fight with him, side by side, ruling their pack and guarding sacred sites for the Keepers. But when she violates her masters' laws by saving a beautiful human boy out for a hike, Calla begins to question her fate, her existence, and the very essence of the world she has known. By following her heart, she might lose everything— including her own life. Is forbidden love worth the ultimate sacrifice? My Review

7 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Paranormalcy, Nightshade and Shadow Hills, I haven't read the other two yet though. I'm definitely looking forward to sequels from all three of those debuts:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'M SO GLAD YOU INCLUDED I NOW PRONOUNCE YOU SOMEONE ELSE. I absolutely love love love that book and included it in my top 5 debuts too. Glad to see someone else appreciates it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love your list. Shadow Hills was awesome. I nearly included it in my list. I still need to read I Now Pronounce You Somebody Else.

    ReplyDelete
  4. l loved before l fall, it's not what l expected but l still loved it!
    Great list =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great list! I adored Paranormalcy! Can't wait for the sequel :) I'm glad to see you included Nightshade. I haven't read that one yet, but I keep hearing wonderful things.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so with you on Shadow Hills! Loved that book. I haven't read any of the others...yet!

    ReplyDelete
  7. before i fall made my list too, the rest are all on my wishlist! awesome post :)

    ReplyDelete

I love comments and will reply back via either email or stopping by your blog. Please note that this is an award-free zone.